Dubrovnik Hills Dubrovnik Croatia Bosnia & Herzegovina  
 <<< Back to Dubrovnik Hills Places

Konavle

  • Konavle Valley near Dubrovnik

    View of Konavle Valley

  • View from direction if Kupari to Srebrno, places near Dubrovnik

    Watermills on Ljuta river

  • Srebreno features nice beaches and walking promenade only a few kilometers away from Dubrovnik

    Restaurant at the river

  • Only 6km from Dubrovnik, Mlini (the Mills) with its many streams is found.

    Konavle


Dubrovnik Hills - Did you know ?

Konavle - The Valley of Beauty

At the far south of Dubrovnik region and the Croatian soil 18 km (12 miles) away from Dubrovnik, the fertile land of Konavle valley is found surrounded by the wreath of hills, mounds, and hillocks. Thirty picturesque villages found their place in the karst land with peculiar vegetation that grows on the rock itself. Lush pine trees, cypresses, olive trees, and many sorts of underbrush grow there among the vineyards.

 

Konavle got its historic name for from Latin "canale", "canalis", in the local dialect "konali", "kanali" in the first century before Common Era. for the aqueducts that passed the area and supplied the mighty city of Epidaurum (today's Cavtat) with fresh water..

Event today the remnants of the old water supply system from Vodovađa to Epidaurum can be seen in some places.

 

The history of Konavle is quite interesting. Today it lives in the people of Konavle, their traditions, lifestyle, and the national costumes.

 

Available historical traces tell a story about the life in Konavle as far back as Paleolithic and Neolithic times (over four thousand years before Common Era).

We can track the concrete course of the history in Konavle from the fifth and fourth century before Common Era on, when this area was populated by the Illyrian tribes of the Plereians and the Ardians.

 

The Romans who had submitted the Illyrians in the second century before Common Era have formed the city Epidaurum in the place of today's Cavtat while in the in 614 the Avars and Slavs ransacked the Epidaurum as the entire region of Konavle, whereby they displaced the inhabitants from former times, the Illyrians and the Romans.

 

Shortly afterwards, the Croats instigated the Slavs and evicted the Avars to the Pannonian Valley, and settled the area.

 

In the following years, the rulers and the states in Konavle area are alternating (Doclea, Rascia, Bosnia), and Konavle for a short period of time got also its independence, namely in the 9th century.

 

Finally, in the 14th century Konavle comes under the governance of the Dubrovnik Republic when Dubrovnik's inhabitants bought the Konavle from Bosnian great land owners : the eastern part of Konavle from Sandaljo Hranić in 1419; and the western part from Radoslav Pavlović in 1426 for 36 000 Perpers (currency unit in Montenegro) for each piece of Konavle.

 

During the Dubrovnik Republic's rule of Konavle a sovereign resided in a castle in Pridvorje to skillfully control and rule Konavle who had a strong strategic and economical value for Dubrovnik of that time.

 

With the fall of the Dubrovnik Republic in the year 1807, Konavle comes under French administration, and afterwards under the rule of the Austrian-Hungarian Monarchy, under which it will stay until its decay in 1918 and the formation of the Yugoslavian Kingdom. After World War II, Konavle is integral part of the socialist Yugoslavia within the borders of the SR (Socialist Republic) of Croatia; and today, after the endured aggression in the Homeland War (from 1991 to 1995), it enjoys the fruits of the independency of the Republic of Croatia.

 

The sightseeing points of interest in Konavle include the:

 

Konavle County House that holds the ethnological fortune of Konavle, displayed in the ambience of a typical Konavle house. The collection holds about 500 items including male and female folk costumes of the highest quality, embroidery and other textile handcrafts, jewellery, arms, musical instruments and items used in the everyday life. The permanent display includes a selection of the traditional needlework.

 

Fort Sokol or Soko Grad which was the largest fort in Konavle from the time of the Dubrovnik Republic. Fort Sokol was built on the site of an Illyrian and roman fortification and with its form it is adjusted to the natural cliff on which it was build. From the fort and the churchyard of Our Lady of Sokol one has a unique view of the whole Konavle.

 

Watermills in Konavle at the river LjutaWatermills at the River Ljuta consisted of as system of eight watermills for flour, two watermills for oil and three stamp mills. When the Dubrovnik Republic bought Konavle, there were four mills on the upper stream of the river. After 1550, the system called “lower mills” was built and has been preserved until today.

The functioning of the mills was based on a canal system, and some of them were driven by three aqueducts. The river source and the upper stream is under protection of the Government as a park of nature, whereas the watermill is protected as a cultural monument.

 

Franciscan Monastery in Pridvorje from the 15th century in the style of the early Dubrovnik renaissance. The monastery was a pilgrimage place, so it collected a rich treasury of sacral art, where special place belongs to the well-known late gothic wooden crucifixion from Pridvorje.

 

Konavle - Dubrovnik airport in Čilipi

Mausokeum of the Racic Family International airport in Dubrovnik is located 18 km (12 miles) from Dubrovnik in Konavle near the village of Cilipi. The airport is regional and handles only flight to and from Dubrovnik. It has only one building terminal with separation for domestic and international flights thus the departure and arrivals are quite simple, although in summer months the airport tends to be crowded due to many charter flights flying in from all over the world.